Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In memoriam

The bf and I had a pretty tough weekend.  Our beloved Sadie (the white dog shown in the photos to the right), died in her sleep at the age of 16. We, of course, had known for quite some time that we wouldn't have her around much longer, but she defied all odds, I think.  Other than becoming hard of hearing, she was in remarkably good health until this past Saturday morning, when she started having a hard time getting up and down.  She could stand and lay down and didn't seem in pain except for the actual getting up and down. But we noticed she wasn't eating or drinking.  After going all day without drinking we tried to give her water by dropper, but she refused it. We knew then she didn't have long, so we spent every moment of the day with her. Sunday morning we were surprised to see her looking a little more chipper, but it was soon apparent that she now couldn't get up at all, so bf carried her outside to do her business.  But after having nothing the day before she didn't have to. We had another long day of watching over her and by late afternoon she fell into a deep sleep and didn't wake up again.  Monday morning she was gone.  We buried her in the yard she loved and although I didn't have a chance to join in Jane's (smallbutcharming.blogspot.com) "Flowers in the House", these are the flowers I buried with her.



She was a beautiful, wonderful, sweet, gentle, and loving dog who loved her daddy and chasing sticks almost equally, and was really good about tolerating me and Jack.  We miss her. A lot. But I like to think she had a good life with us and that she is at peace and will soon be back to chasing sticks somewhere.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry to read this. Of course I'm in a blur of tears as I write this.

    RIP Sadie. I know she was well loved in life and will be well mourned in death.

    But I also know she had a wonderful life.

    Big hugs all around.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin,
    I'm so sorry to read about sweet Sadie. All we can do is love them and enjoy them for the short time they're with us. She was one lucky dog to have spent her time with you.. Take comfort in the wonderful life you gave her.
    xo Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet. She was beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. We become so attached to our babies and it is so painful when they leave us. We have to hold fast with the knowledge they knew they were loved. I am sending you hugs. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Bonnie. I do take comfort in knowing she had a great life and I think she knew she was loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey
    I'd like to peer extra posts like this, I like wise thinking. This is a very good website
    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! You know how I feel about my dogs - and dogs in general - so you know I mean it when I offer my deepest sympathy.

    xox,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete