Thursday, January 26, 2012

On the (never-ending) to-do list....

This weeks project:


It doesn't look bad in this photo, but the finish was becoming faded and several places were worn thru entirely.  I've had this table for 20+ years - my children grew up eating at this table.


We refinished my old table.  I thought about painting it - and I might still do that one day - but once I sanded it down a little it was easy to see how nice it would look with just a coat of stain and a couple of coats of a Polyurethane finish.  We're on the fourth application of Poly, and I think that's gonna do it.  A couple days for it to dry and set up completely, and we can go back to eating on it.  Someday I hope the bf will make me a long, gorgeous farm table, but til then this table has lots of memories behind it.


Another item on the January "to-do" list:


Salvia, Sea Holly, Coneflower and Monarda seedlings-to-be!


Last fall I gathered up and saved seeds from some of my favorite plants I already have in the garden, with intentions of quadrupling my flowers without having to spend any money.  Wish me luck!

And here is what we did tonight:

An after-work glass of wine outside on the patio...

I am so loving this weather!  It was almost 70 degrees when I got home from work tonight!  Last year about this time we were shoveling snow.  This year I think we've had 2 or 3 days of less than 65 degree days.  So nice.  Thank you Mother Nature!  Come on Spring!

I'll be back in a day or two with the afters of the table and another item we crossed off the list last weekend.

Til then...peace, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. I think last year you mentioned we had the same deck/patio scene. The squirrels tore down my lights. I have yet to convince R. to put up a new string:( It looks like a perfect evening. I love your table. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's smart what you did with the table. It's probably much more durable.

    Seeds already? When can you plant safely? We've had only one day of snow followed by two days of about 50 degrees. 56 degrees tomorrow. Crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bonnie! Sorry about your lights! My bf convinced me when we put these up to string them along a very sturdy, heavy wire for that very reason (squirrels), and so far, as much as I hate to admit it, he was right. I've seen squirrels running along the wire, but they leave the lights alone. And itwas a really nice evening!
    Steve! I'm supposed to wait til the end of March, but many years I start around the middle of March. If the weather stays like this, this will be one of the early years! I know, this crazy (good) weather is all along the east coast, I guess!

    ReplyDelete